Thursday 21 February 2008

Shanghai 上海

上海 Shanghai 

When I was a small child, my family left Shanghai in 1947. In 2001, that was my first time to visit Shanghai. I do not have too much memory when I left this city. Only street car, florescent light in 黄浦江边,Shanghai zoo , very slight and unclear memory. 2001 visit, I was like a person to find some old memory. Later years, my cousin told me where my grandma, my uncles live, otherwise, I have nothing to remember. If my mom cold still alive, she would be very happy to be there. When I was in Taiwan, my mom always believed my grandma was still alive. I left Taiwan in 1969. Actually, my grandma was still alive until 1973 - that was red guard time, a hard time for all the relatives. My cousin and his daughter spread my grandma's ash into 黄浦江.

2001-07-15 to 2001-07-26 trip

From Toronto to Shanghai stopped by Tokyo. It was by Japan Airlines. The itinerary was pretty complicated - Toronto/Chicago/Tokyo, stayed overnight in Narita, next morning from Tokyo to Shanghai. Today, everything is different, more flights to Shanghai and Toronto has direct flight.

Shanghai in 2001 is different from today. See 2001 Shanghai, that is already into history.

 浦东国际机场





 黄浦江

 Shanghai Exhibition Hall - Russian style building



 淮海路 - 旧名霞飞路








 城隍庙 南翔小笼包
 南翔小笼包
 城隍庙



 With Hsiaos at a bar in 衡山路


 静安寺附近, 工程中


 Shanghai Museum
 BUND - 外滩












 2001 still had one traffic control - it is gone
 上海豫园



 Shanghai Stadium - in 2001 was the largest in Asia
From my hotel look out - The area is now a high rise complex













Pu Dong International Airport - it is now the terminal 1

2002-05-09 to 2002-05-28 Trip

Toronto to Shanghai by Northwestern Airlines (It is history, the airline does not exist now.) The itinerary is Toronto -> Detroit -> Tokyo -> Shanghai. On May 9, we drove to airport, the weather was in a thunderstorm. The airplane could not leave Detroit, so there was no plane to take us to Detroit. The NW counter was jammed with passengers, they all fly to Detroit then connected to other destinations such as Tokyo, Hong Kong, China, Philippines, etc. We waited for 2 hours to get our service, the agent had to book us to another airlines to take us to Shanghai. Finally, our flight has been changed as: Toronto by Cathy Pacific mid-night flight to Hong Kong with stop at Anchorage, Alaska. China Eastern from Hong Kong to Shanghai. So our arrival to Shanghai was less than one day delay - arrival in the evening changed to arrival next day noon. Here are our 2002 Shanghai photos.


 上海新天地
 徐家汇






 陆家嘴












 徐家汇

 曹宝路附近

 城隍庙again







 四川北路





















Historical 邵逸夫戏院(原名天詹舞台)
徐家汇
                                                                  徐家汇-上海第六百货
                                                                         徐家汇



2003-10-13  to 03-11-01 trip

American Airlines: Toronto -> Chicago -> Tokyo  JAL Tokyo -> Shanghai

A long journey. We stayed in Tokyo airport for a long time. When we arrived at Shanghai airport, it was close to midnight. We were smart to use airport bus to take us to 复旦大学 area, then called a taxi. Because we changed our money at airport.

This trip, I visited my 3rd uncle. My first time to see him after I left Shanghai in February 1947.






























 国际大饭店- used to be the tallest building in Asia
大光明电影院 -used to be the best in Asia






















 复兴公园-法租界 (中国人与狗不可进入)























 丝绸之路大饭店 - 曲阳路 闸北区 与复旦 同济 近
以为近长途汽车站





























后住宾馆近黄浦江 - 为德意志银行旧址




2004-10-09 to 2004-10-30

From Toronto to Vancouver then to Shanghai by Air Canada

This trip we went to Sichuan 四川 and Yunnan 云南. October is the best month to visit China.















 南京东路之夜





 Hotel - Howard Johnson





美丽外滩







 淮海路










 淮海路

邵逸夫戏院 - 京剧






 蟹黄for小笼包
 浦东国际机场

2005-10-10 to 2005-10-31

From Toronto to Chicago, then to Shanghai by United Airlines
This year, I bought Shanghai Airlines tours when I arrived Shanghai, destinations - 山西 山东 广西. All three trips are based on Shanghai. I flew from and to 虹桥机场 3 times. It is not a smart way to travel. I should do fly forward to finish my trips, then come back to Shanghai and fly back to Toronto.

In 2004 and 2005, I stayed at the same hotel - 锦江之星at 福建南路. The photos are almost the same.






















































 上海音乐厅














2008-01-13 to 2008-02-09 trip.

From Toronto to Shanghai, stayed a few days, then flew to Hainan. Stayed in Hainan for 15 nights, then flew back to Shanghai.

The Historical BUND, Nanjing Road, Hui Hai Road, PuDong Airport

Shanghai is the first stop from air for my 2008 trip to Hainan Dao. On my way back, it is the stop for my air to Toronto. At the time, it was winter, the weather was cold. We had snow. and we stayed there for Chinese New Year. I believe I will never go there for Chinese New Year, the reason is that restaurants are closed for Chinese New Year. Hard to find a restaurant for dinner.

















































2009-04-11 to 2009-05-03

From to Toronto to Shanghai by Air Canada. This year trip is mainly concentrated on 福建 浙江. We arrived on 2009-04-12 and stayed at 锦江之星 浦东机场店one night. Next day, we went to airport to fly to 厦门. Because the hotel is very near airport, so when we get to the airport, the counters are still closed. The hotel I stayed at the end of my trip is the same as my stay in 2004 and 2005 - 锦江之星福州南路店.

















 Passing 2010 Shanghai EXPO site - China Pavilion was under construction

 New terminal 2 is in service - From terminal 2 look at terminal 1

 Beautiful terminal 2 - the sky is different from terminal 1


2010-09-11 to 2010-10-20

This is a cruise trip from Vancouver to 天津. We did our China trips 天津 沈阳 哈尔滨 & 上海. Shanghai  is for EXPO and fly back to Toronto. The ship is by Diamond Princess and Airline is Air Canada.

南京东路步行街 淮海路 - 夜景美丽,许多大名牌的旗舰店均设在淮海路。






 This hotel is Howard Johnson


 淮海路












2012-02-26 to 2012-03-17

Cruise trip from Tianjin to Singapore. From Toronto Beijing, then use airport bus to 天津塘沽. This is a distant bus, over than 2 hours on bus but it is relaxing than staying in Beijing. This trip has Shanghai as one cruise port, that is why Shanghai is related for this blog post.

Date: 2012-03-03
Port: Shanghai Wu Song Kou International Cruise Ship Terminal 上海吴淞口国际油轮码头
Shanghai is more generous, a big welcome party with folk band and free shuttle bus to 外滩. Bus takes 1 hour for this long distance. As compare to most European countries, they do charge heavily for local shuttle bus.

We did walk on 南京东路. Since I have been to Shanghai so many times, I do not need map for our trip. It was raining, we bought 2 umbrellas. There is very big new Apple store. Department stores are busy. The significant difference is price - more expensive.


Shanghai Wu Song Kou International Cruise Ship Terminal 上海吴淞口国际油轮码头





Shanghai BUND and Nanjing Road East 上海外滩 南京东路步行街














 After shopping for her coat, Barbara's coat from red to shinning black





















 Legendary 和平饭店 - 现为 Fairmont Peace Hotel





 Peace Hotel
















 白渡桥

No comments:

Post a Comment