Thursday 3 November 2011

Rome, Italy


Rome, Italy

Date: 2011-10-18 to 2011-10-21 on land trip

Roma is the Italian name, Chinese name is 罗马 and the pronunciation is close. My first visit was in Feb 1990. Recent visit was on October 18, 2011, I arrived Rome on early morning. The airport bus is very convenient, the fare is only 4 Euro one way. We had 4 persons in our small group - Barbara and 2 others. I had booked a small hotel near Termini. It is just one block from Termini. The road sign is not clear. We walked a few blocks away from the hotel street. I asked one tour guide for the direction, he just replied he did not know the hotel. Finally, I found out the place. It should be only 120 M from the station, I believe we did walk about 400 M.

The hotel has a lift, it is an addition to the building. We had to walk half floor to get to the lift. We still have to walk half floor to get to our floor.

We had a solid 3 day visit to this beautiful city.
1st day - Spagna, Fontana di Trevi, Pantheon, Piazza Navona
2nd day - Musei Vaticani, Basilica S. Pietro, Castel Sant' Angelo, Ponte Sant' Angelo
3rd day - Santa Maria Magglore, S. Peitro in Vincoli, Colosseo, Arco di Costantino, Via Nazionale, Piazza delta Repubblica

Metro is only 1 Euro. Walk is free. Train to Civitavecchia is only 4.5 Euro. Pickpockets are everywhere. We met a mom and daughter couple, they traveled by EuroStar from Florence to Rome. They leave their 2 large pieces in the luggage section, when the train arrives at Termini one of their luggage was taken by a gentleman. They went to cruise trip with only one piece of luggage. You can image their feelings.
My traveling suggestions:
- Use public transit, it is cheaper than taxi. Most streets are in one way driving direction, a taxi might have to make several turns to get to your destination. From airport to downtown: take airport bus or train, the cost is very affordable and safe.
- In Termini there is one supermarket that is one floor down, near north stairway exit. It has hot food for travelers, also, water is cheap, about 50 cents (Euro) for 1.5L bottle.
- Take Metro to the nearest spot such as Spagna for Spanish Steps. Buy more single tickets if there is one ticket agent on duty. If you like to use machine, use coins or 5 Euro bill. Watch your surroundings, there are people trying to help you and look at your wallet.
- Vatican museum, go there early, before 10 AM. You do not need to reserve your ticket with extra service charge.
- Bring your own water, use McDonald toilet.
- Euro power outlet is different, if you can have an universal converter just take it with you. My hotel does not have North America power outlet.

I could not charge my camera battery on my first night in Rome. That night on duty clerk insists there is no converter in the house. My 2nd day visit to Vatican, I could barely take only a few pictures. When I returned to my hotel I saw an Indian lady is searching for outlet converter with the same clerk, so I asked again. He was very unwilling to check and gave me a converter. I believe some people in that country are quite lazy.

At Spanish steps


























This church is very beautiful.


















Downtown Rome




3 coins in the fountain




Make a wish, throw a coin, I shall be back



































The Victory Monument



















Pantheon


From Pantheon dome, look at the sky






































































Spanish steps in sunset




Vatican city, Basilica Saint Peter, Castel Saint Angelo, S. Pietro in Vincoli, Colosseo, Arco di Costantino, Forum, Piazza delia Repubblica

The hotel did not give me a power jack converter. European plug is 2 rods, not like ours 2 flat panels. I could not charge my camera batteries. My second day can only take about 89 photos. When I went back, I was thinking to buy an adapter at Termini square. There are many Asian vendors selling some adapters, power charger to cell phones. I planned to bring my charger first, so I went back to the hotel. At this time, the check-in clerk was helping an old Indian lady for power converter. I just asked him for one adapter. He was unwilling but had to find it. He found out one and gave it to me. I did charge 3 batteries in the evening. It saved my 3rd day trip, I could take many pictures on my 3rd day trip.

Vatican Museum 2nd floor court
 From Vatican Museum outdoor court look at St. Peter Basilica





 From the museum look out





 St Peter Square

 Very long queue to enter St Peter Basilica



































 Vatican Swiss Guard












My 3rd day in Rome - Heavy rain and thunder from very early till 9 AM. Flood on my hotel floor (2nd floor). Heavy rain fall came from somewhere on 2nd floor. It ended with flood on the floor. Luckily, I put luggage on top of a table. It ended to change floor, from 2 to 5. I had to hold my luggage and walk up to 5th floor because no power. We left hotel after 9 AM. We decided to walk to Coliseum. On the way, we had to stay in a hotel entrance because of rain. The weather turned out to be good for the rest of the day. 


















































































































































































My 4th day - Walk to train station, it is just not far away, only one block. But walk to the train, takes a longer time. From the station, walk to Civitavecchia train track take at least 10 minutes, more than 500 metres. We bought our tickets ahead of time. You can buy direct from the machine or wait in line for ticket service. We did line up for tickets. The agent asks if you like to use the machine. We had problem to understand, so we line up for the ticket.

When the train arrives, we want to get up. 3 Gypsy ladies like to help. I told them I could manage myself. They went to grab other 2 lady's luggage. They want tips and not satisfied with what they gave, ask for more. It was a scary experience. Someone lost their luggage before train stop at Termini, and they were on the same train for cruise trip. I believe that is one of the nightmare trip for them.

At a McDonald in Vie Nacional




Food purchased at Termini underground supermarket
 Termini platform
Hotel room on 5th floor
 Capitol Hotel


 Train ride to Civitavecchia 
 Civitavecchia station

 Walk on this direction to cruise terminal
 Food at Star Princess(Cruise)
Buffet at Horizon Court
 Dinner at Amalfi dining room











 At bedroom

























 Our waiter(red) and junior waiter(green)














 Exective Chef
















No comments:

Post a Comment